Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Sock-A-Knee" continued

Saucony was acquired in the late 60's by Hyde Athletic Industries.  Hyde Athletic Industries, located near Boston and founded in 1898 is probably one of the oldest running shoe manufacturers around. You like the way I used probably? I assume it's use frees me from having to do too much actual research.  Anyway; In addition to various other sporting goods Hyde Athletic Industries manufactured Spot-Bilt shoes.  If you look at early pictures of the Boston marathon runners, it looks these are the shoes those guys are wearing. I aways thought they were running in dress shoes that they had stripped the heel off of.   What's also interesting is that if you think that the current trend of minimalist shoes is a new thing, look at this ad for Spot-Bilt shoes from the 50's.  "Super light, amazingly flexible, with straight foam rubber sole."

 I also found a pair of vintage Spot-Bilts on E-Bay.  They look cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment