Monday, September 12, 2011

Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon

I really like Heartbreak Ridge. It was challenging, not too crowded and is definitely on my list for next year. The Ridge in the middle of the out and back course was tough and steep on the way out, constant and gruesome on the way back. I had dreams of the pipe variety of running 10:00min miles that seemed to be working out until the turn around. The subtle downhill then turned into a "why the F do I feel so pokey?" I shamefully let myself walk a few times. Not so shamefully on the steepest part of the hill but still I wish I'd pushed harder. My 10:00 and under times dropped badly to 11:47-13:17 in miles 9 through 11. I was able to sprint the last 100 yards to the finish at a 4:44 pace. I only thought I was going to puke after that.

2:25:44 - Slower than I wanted to run but better than I expected. In May I ran Pasadena in 2:38:54 so it was a big improvement to run this with twice the climbing at almost a minute faster per mile. I'm happy with my results for my second half marathon but I have some intervals to run tonight so no dwelling. Also, I need to run more hills.

My weight before the race was 235.8. My CamelBak Mule was 10+ pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment